Wednesday 22 March 2006

Red laggy band mystery

Posted by Glynis:

Whilst out delivering issue No 243 of our ward newsletter, Focus, I noticed that there were lots of individual red rubber bands on the pavement.

In Brooksbank Avenue, where I first noticed them, there must have been at least 50, spread about 10 metres apart, right along the pavements on both sides of the road. They seem to be mainly discarded right up against the garden walls. There were not as many elsewhere but there were some in every street. They were even scattered on Redcar's pedestrianised High Street, when I went to Thomas Cook's to pay for my holiday in June.

Now, the only people I know who walk around the streets with red laggy bands are postmen. I would not go so far as to accuse our hard working posties of committing this offence, there may be some other organisation that uses them that also walks the streets.

It is a dreadful waste of money and whoever is responsible are risking an on the spot fine, if one of our Community Wardens spots them. Why don't they reuse them? Obviously there will be some bureaucratic excuse that makes it more economical to chuck them away but I can't for the life of me think of a good reason for such wastefulness.

No comments: